- Student Guide: Auto-attendance on Acadly
- Student Auto-Attendance Troubleshooting Guide
- Getting started with Acadly as a professor: Part 1/2 (The basics)
- Getting Started with Acadly as a professor - Part 2/2 (Tips & Tricks)
1. What you need (infrastructure)
- Both the professor and students need the Acadly app (iOS or Android). Using the website won't work.
- Being connected to the internet is mandatory.
- Being connected via WiFi improves the accuracy of the process, but it is NOT mandatory. The process can rely solely on Bluetooth, even if your students are connected to the internet via their mobile data/ LTE/ 3G connection.
- Everyone needs to give their app the permissions it asks for.
2. What you need to know
- STUDENTS CAN BE CHECKED-IN BUT NOT PRESENT: There are three attendance statuses on Acadly - Absent, Checked in and Present. Students can check in remotely as well. This helps them access your activities even if they're not inside the classroom. However, you can verify their presence remotely on Acadly by running the auto-attendance process.
Figure 1 - Possible Attendance Statuses
- RETAKE: You can run the auto-attendance process multiple times to get better results.
- Attendance records can be manually modified till 10 minutes after the scheduled lecture end time
- You need to be the Lecture In-Charge to be able to record attendance automatically for a lecture. If you're the lone professor in the course, you are the Lecture In-Charge by default. If you were added to a course as an instructor, only the Course Administrator can make you the Lecture In-Charge. The Course Info contains information on the course roles of all professors and teaching assistants.
3. What you need to do
Here's a video that explains what you need to do, but please do finish reading the rest of the details below:
Video demo of the attendance process (view in 1080p please)
3A: OPEN ACADLY ON THE APP
Both you and your students need the Acadly app (Android or iOS) for the automatic attendance feature to work. On the website, you can record attendance only manually.
3B: FOLLOW THE PROCESS DESCRIBED HERE
Figure 2: Auto-Attendance process for professors
4. NEXT: Read and share the student guide to auto-attendance with your class
Here's the Student Guide to Auto-Attendance. Please read this to understand how the attendance process works for students, and share it with your students to ensure things go smoothly.
5. Common reasons for failures
A student may not be discovered if:
- They aren't using the app
- They haven't given the app the necessary permissions
- They have their Bluetooth (in case of iOS) or GPS (in case of Android) manually switched off. They will receive a warning about this, though (read Student Guide).
- They weren't connected to the internet when the process began
- It is recommended that students have their app open and in the foreground when you start the process since this helps the discovery process. However, this is not mandatory.
- If you have WiFi available, it's better if the class uses it. This is not mandatory though. The process can rely solely on Bluetooth, even if your students are connected to the internet via their mobile data/ LTE/ 3G connection.